Roswell will be host to the city’s annual Dia de Muertos Festival and Cantina contest on Saturday, October 29, 2022, from 2:00 to 8:00 p.m., on the grounds of City Hall, 38 Hill Street in Roswell. To celebrate this traditional Mexican holiday, the event will feature an afternoon and evening filled with fun, remembrance, and community spirit.
Dia de Muertos—or the Day of the Dead—is traditionally celebrated from October 31 to November 2 in the central and southern regions of Mexico. The holiday is centered around the remembrance of lost loved ones, as communities come together to celebrate their memory and pray for their safe spiritual journey.
The festival is free to the public, with the exception of food – drinks vendors and one special ticketed experience.
- Traditional Entertainment: Street performers, a Mexican ballet group, and a live mariachi band
- Food: On-site vendors will sell Mexican cuisines, such as empanadas and tamales.
- Face Painting: No Dia de Muertos celebration would be complete without traditional candy skull face painting.
- Ofrenda: Visit an authentic, traditional altar honoring family and friends who have passed. Bring a copy of a photo or a small memento of a loved one to place at the altar. (Please note: we will not be able to return anything left at the altar).
- Costume Contest: Wear your favorite Day of the Dead costume and paint your face for a Catrina and Catrin contest to be held at 5:00 PM. Cash prizes will be awarded for the best costume.
- Tequila/ Specialty Margarita Tasting Experience: Showcasing the unique flavors of Mexico, this experience includes tasking tokens and a souvenir tasting glass (the first 500 to arrive the day of the event). For $35 you will receive 8 tokens that can be used to taste any combination of 6 different types of specialty margaritas (4 oz. sample) and 4 different types of Tequila (a Blanco, Joven, Reposado, or Anejo) (1/2 oz sample). Tickets are on sale soon.
- Tickets on Sale Soon: Purchase tickets in advance at ticket master.